httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gerwin van de Steeg <gerwin.van.de.st...@vadacom.co.nz>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] testing server
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:58:59 GMT
Have you tried to see if the hostnames can be resolved correctly?

 From a command prompt try to ping or do a host lookup (nslookup or
host) on the 3 names specified in the hosts file

ie.
   ping websites

if this works then check to see if your browser is trying to use a web
proxy somewhere
Turn of your web proxy in the browser or setup an exclusion for those 2
domain names to go directly before testing it

Larry wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:50:15 +1200, you wrote (with possible editing):
>

>> Just for a thought, make the hosts file look something like this:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost websites agendatest
>>

> http://websites/ yields "Proxy Error"
> http://localhost/ yields "Bad Gateway"
>

>> note the lowercase
>>

> Yes, I did.
>

>> and also for your apache config make sure you turn on Name based virtual
>> hosts
>>

> I did.
>

>> and use lowercase hostnames.
>>

> that, too.  However, the Document Root says "C:/Websites"
> another says "C:/Websites/AgendaTest" both of which are the actual
> directories except for the "/" instead of "\".
>
> I tried using all lowercase there, but it didn't seem to make a
> difference.
>

>> read: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html
>> for more info on setting up name based virtual hosts
>>
>> Also, the order in which the hosts file gets used in windows
>> applications depends on the function to do DNS resolution (there are at
>> least 2 and they use a different order with regards to hosts file and
>> DNS lookups)
>>

> This is what I think is the problem.  It may be that I have to do a
> reboot after modifying the hosts file.  I'll try that.
>

>> Finally, you probably won't need the following section in your config
>>
>> Alias /AgendaTest/ "C:/Websites/AgendaTest/"
>>

> Ok, I'll eliminate it.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> --
>
> Larry
> Email to rapp at lmr dot com
>

>> Larry wrote:
>>
>>> Apache 2.0.47, PHP 4.3.4, MySQL 4 something.  All installed on Win XP
>>> Pro SP2, 2 gig mem.
>>>
>>> I am trying to setup a testing server for Dreamweaver 8.  Most of my
>>> work is in subdirectories of C:\Websites, for example
>>> C:\Websites\AgendaTest.  I would like to use Apache with PHP as a
>>> testing server.  I am getting confused between Virtual Hosts and
>>> Aliases.  I thought that adding the lines:
>>>
>>> 127.0.0.1  Localhost
>>> 127.0.0.1  Websites
>>> 127.0.0.1  AgendaTest
>>>
>>> to Hosts in \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc in combination with virtual
>>> hosts in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\conf\httpd.conf would
>>> do it, but I guess not.
>>>
>>> In httpd.conf I set up (at various places)
>>> Servername localhost:80
>>> DocumentRoot "C:/Websites"
>>> <Directory "C:/Websites">
>>> Alias /websites "C:/Websites/"
>>> <Directory "C:/Websites">
>>> 	Options Indexes MultiViews
>>> 	AllowOverride None
>>> 	Order allow,deny
>>> 	Allow from all
>>> </Directory>
>>> Alias /AgendaTest/ "C:/Websites/AgendaTest/"
>>> <Directory "C:/Websites/AgendaTest">
>>> 	Options Indexes MultiViews
>>> 	AllowOverride None
>>> 	Order allow,deny