httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Wildcard fun
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:54:33 GMT
On Saturday 30 September 2006 14:23, Jay L. T. Cornwall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to implement WebDAV for all the users on a system without
> configuring each individually. Perhaps Apache can't (yet?) do this or
> perhaps I'm looking at the problem the wrong way.
>
> The aim is to provide /home/user/private_dav and have it served from the
> URL 'http://www.hostname.com/~user/dav/'. What I'd envision is something
> along the lines of:
>
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>   Alias /dav /home/$user/private_dav
> </Directory>

Forget the alias.  Just let them have a subdirectory of public_html,
and make sure nothing uploaded can be executed!

Lots of hosting companies do this kind of thing with a per-user cgi-bin,
which is basically the same task (a special-purpose directory for
each user).  I'm sure google can find you some example configs,
if there isn't one at apache.org (I haven't checked that).

> My understanding is that access to the matched wildcard isn't available
> from Apache, so the only option I see is to write out each case
> individually. Would that be the case?

mod_macro would (also) make it less painful.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674