httpd-users mailing list archives

From Charles Michener <micheck...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Windows max threads
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:24:54 GMT
Please pardon me for rehashing but ...

I have a Windows server running Apache 2.2. The hardware has a large amount of RAM (2+G) and
a fast processor and disk drive system. Under load it too reaches some sort of saturation
where the '%D' time to serve changes from .2 seconds to 30.0 or more.

Did I understand that I could split my one Apache server into two or more instances of Apache
each with their own httpd.conf file running on the same box - all listening to port 80 and
each separately serving a subset of my virtual hosts - ie - divide and conquer

Alex Turner <Alex.Turner@Project-Network.com> wrote: Joshua,

Thanks for you thoughts - I would have said the same thing.  I forgot to mention that the
max threads per child is set sufficiently high (200) to run 64 threads already :-(  Plus,
having max threads per child would not explain why apache takes several second (over 30) to
recover and why no pages were served at all under that load.  It would appear than opening
64 sockets at once to Apache just 'over whelms it'.

This issue is definitely more pernicious than just max threads :-((

Thanks

AJ

Alexander J Turner Ph.D.
www.deployview.com