httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sean Conner <...@conman.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] upgrade 1.2.9 -> 2.3
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:30:41 GMT
It was thus said that the Great Gerard Seibert once stated:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 16:28, Tim McIntyre wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've been tasked with upgrading our ancient (1.2.9) apache to 2.3.  I
> > have read and researched this a good bit but this is on our
> > production server so I need to be >>really<< sure.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Emphasis added.

> > On FreeBSD
>
> [...]
>
> Tim I also use FreeBSD 6.1 with Apache2. I know that you have already received
> some feed back on this issue. I would just like to recommend that you
> use 'portmanager' to install the new apache port. I am not sure if you are
> familiar with this program. It is in the ports tree: "sysutils/portmanager".
> Running it like this:
>
> 	portmanager www/apache22 -f -l -y
>
> would insure that the port and all of its dependencies were built correctly. A
> log file is created in /var/log/portmanager.log for your perusal.

  But Tim also has 1.2.9 running that I suspect he doesn't want blown away
as he migrates to Apache 2.3, and on that basis, I would *not* use the
portmanager at all, for fear it would overwrite the existing 1.2.9 Apache.

  Also, when you run configure and do *not* give it the --prefix option, the
default location for installing Apache is "/usr/local/apache2/".

  -spc (I've had very bad experiences with various package managers, so
	I tend not to trust them at all ... )