httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Julian C. Dunn" <Julian_D...@cbc.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] managing mass Apache Redirects
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:40:56 GMT
On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 10:59 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 9/21/06, Julian C. Dunn <Julian_Dunn@cbc.ca> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any solutions for managing a huge number of Apache
> > redirects in a manner external to Apache? What I am looking to do is to
> > store Redirect source and targets in some kind of DB. It's kind of like
> > RewriteMap but I don't actually want to use the key and values in future
> > directives.
> >
> > Ideally it would be possible to instruct Apache (either implicitly or
> > explicitly) to refresh its Redirect map without restarting Apache
> > itself.
>
> Umm... This is exactly like RewriteMap.  And RewriteMap does not need
> a restart to be refreshed.  What is it that you need that RewriteMap
> doesn't provide?

Hmm... maybe I just need some guidance with the use of RewriteMap. If a
looked-up key is not found in the map, what happens? Will Apache consult
the DocumentRoot to see if the directory exists, will the JKMounts be
consulted, etc.? I am unclear as to the order of precedence.

- Julian

--
-- Julian C. Dunn, P.Eng.  <Julian_Dunn@cbc.ca>
-- Platform Administrator * CBC.ca Production & Operations