httpd-users mailing list archives

From Victor Star <gro...@victorstar.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Corrupted source files
Date Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:52:57 GMT
>> I'm new to Apache. I've just installed Apache 2.2.3 on FreeBSD 6.0. Configured it
and got it
>> running. But I'm having something that looks like quite a weird problem. I've done
my research on
>> Google, read FAQ and docs but couldn't find anything even closely resembling my situation.
>> Description of the problem: when I'm requesting documents like HTML files or images
with the browser
>> - it displays properly the very first time, and after this the original file on the
server is
>> corrupted - filled with some binary garbage. And this garbage is what's displayed
on every next
>> request. Actually this garbage changes from request to request. So what it looks
like - that when
>> Apache grabs the file to send it to the browser, it writes some garbage into it.
I've never seen
>> anything like that before.
>> Some additional info: when I request php files (served by php_mod) - everything is
fine, nothing
>> gets corrupted.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate any hints on where to look for a fix.

> I have never ever heard of apache corrupting files on disk, so this
> must be something peculiar to your config.  Can you tell us exactly
> what changes you made to the default config.  (Or alternatively, go
> back to the default config file and make sure everything works, then
> slowly re-add your customizations, checking each time to figure out
> where things break.)

That's what I just tried. Re-installed Apache with the default configuration.
"It works!" index.html really works, doesn't get corrupted. Now I dropped my own html file
in there
without changing any config. And it breaks. I started working from the working file and what
I found
is that it's the file size that matters. Any file over 512 bytes breaks. 512 bytes and under
- work
fine. Totally confused.

--
Best regards,