httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 and 'File Descriptor Limits'
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:15:18 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 9:13 AM, Kenneth Svee wrote:

> [ Jim Jagielski ]
>
>> Kenneth Svee wrote:
>>>
>>> I've ported the old config to Apache 2.2, and we're about 11 vhosts
>>> over the limit on the new build. The 1.3.37-server works. The
>>> 2.2.3-server starts if i comment out 11 vhosts. With 10 vhosts
>>> commented out, the server dumps this to the "global" error_log, and
>>> dies:
>>>
>>>   [Tue Sep 26 17:16:41 2006] [error] (24)Too many open files: could
>>>   not open mime types config file /our/path/to/mime.types.
>>>   Configuration Failed
>>>
>>> With 9 vhosts removed it dies with the following message:
>>>
>>>   Unable to open logs
>>>
>>> We used the HIGH_SLACK_LINE-flag for our Apache-2.2.3-build as
>>> well, even though the docs[3] say nothing about it. What's the
>>> proper way to do this for Apache 2.2.3?
>>
>> It doesn't exist in 2.2.
>
> Meaning it will not work, or that it should work automatically? Is
> there a way for me to make it work?

Apache 2.2 doesn't take any special care in "adjusting"
fd's in the way that the optional slack'ing in Apache 1.3
did. The assumption is that the admin takes care of
ensuring that the kernel allows for sufficient fd's
or, if that's not possible, one configures Apache to
be as lean and mean with fd's as possible (eg: combining
all CustomLogs and ErrorLogs, using worker MPM, etc...)