httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 503 response with mod_rewrite?
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:38:13 GMT
On 8/25/06, Evaldas Imbrasas <evaldas@imbrasas.com> wrote:
> > It would be no more performance-draining to check for an .htaccess
> > file than it would be to check for any other file as a condition for
> > issuing a 503.
>
> If .htaccess files are enabled, Apache would check for their existance
> recursively, wouldn't it? Meaning, for a requested file that is 4
> directories deep it would do 5 .htaccess existence checks.

Only if you ask for it.  You can turn AllowOverride on or off for any
directory.  You would simply need it on for one directory.  (I'm not
saying it's a good idea.  I'd recommend simply changing httpd.conf and
gracefully restarting.  But if you want to trigger off the existence
of a file, you might as well use .htaccess.)

Joshua.