httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] redirect without changing URL?
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:46:57 GMT
On 8/25/06, Bing Du <bdu@iastate.edu> wrote:
> > You could use
> > AliasMatch ^/group/$ /var/www/html/log/path/to/group/overview.html
> > Alias /group/ /var/www/html/log/path/to/group/
> >

> The above config triggers the following warning:
>
> [warn] The Alias directive in /etc/httpd/conf.d/dept.conf at line 19 will
> probably never match because it overlaps an earlier AliasMatch.

That warning may be incorrect in this case. They do overlap, but not completely.

> Also I noticed IE (6) and Firefox handle it differently.  IE 6 shows
> http://www.dept.some.edu/group fine.  But FF returns page not found.
> Hmmm.

Have you tried with the trailing slash?  Are you sure you've cleared
your cache, etc?

> > But why can't you use DirectoryIndex?  This directive can be scoped
> > inside <Directory> or <Location> sections and can also contain
> > multiple filenames.
> >

> Our Apache server is hosting many sites.  Each site may use different
> directory index file.  We don't want to add all of them except the common
> index files in the httpd.conf

Yes, but you can scope the DirectoryIndex:
<Directory /var/www/html/log/path/to/group/>
DirectoryIndex overview.html
</Directory>

Joshua.