httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SOT: Subversion Connection to Apache Fails Mid-Stream
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:36:43 GMT
On 8/21/06, Rob Wilkerson <r.d.wilkerson@gmail.com> wrote:
> All -
>
> I know this is somewhat off-topic and I apologize for that, but I'm
> not having any luck on the Subversion mailing list so I thought I'd
> ask the question from this end and see if someone can give me any
> suggestions on where to look and/or possible causes.
>
> I'm trying to commit a large code base merge using Subversion over
> HTTP through Apache 2.2.2.  The commit seems to be rolling along
> nicely when suddenly it simply fails with a message that it could not
> connect to the server.  The Apache error and access logs
> (/var/log/httpd/error_log and /var/log/httpd/access_log) give no
> indication that it was even aware of the transaction, much less that
> it failed.  Smaller commits, on the other hand, work fine.
>
> I've tried - at the suggestion of a member of the Subversion mailing
> list - to disable the XML request body checking (LimitXMLRequestBody
> 0), but that made no difference at all.  Are there any other
> directives that might prevent a connection from being severed?  Is
> there any way to be sure that it's apache severing the connection?
> Can any other process sever an HTTP connection?
>
> I'm running:
> FC5
> Apache 2.2.2
> SELinux is disabled
> Subversion 1.3.2
> mod_python 3.2.8
> (I think those are all of the relevant line items)
>
> Again, I apologize if this is too far off-topic, but I'm desperate.  I
> had to at least give it a shot.

Doesn't seem that far off-topic to me.

If you are saying that the request seems to partially complete from
the client side, but you see no evidence of it at all in the apache
error or access logs, that may suggest an apache process crash.  If
that is the case, you can use mod_log_forensic to verify that the
server is crashing, and you can use the instructions here to try to
get a backtrace giving details of the problem:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_forensic.html
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#crashes

If an apache process crash is not the problem, then you should look at
a packet trace:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#tcpdump

It is, of course, possible that there is a proxy inbetween you and the
server that could be messing up the connection.  One way around that
is to use SSL, since proxies are less likely to mess with SSL
connections.

Joshua.