httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Appropiate Configuration of No. of Startup and Standby Servers
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:51:10 GMT
On 8/17/06, Ralph.Grothe@itdz-berlin.de <Ralph.Grothe@itdz-berlin.de> wrote:

> So what about the StartServers?
> Don't you think 40 isn't a bit too high as well?
> I mean, it does only relate to the servers that are spawned right
> at the start of the webserver, does it?

Yes.  StartServers should be set to around the average number of
simultaneous clients you suspect (or perhaps a little lower).

> You say that an occassional "server seems busy" is nothing to
> worry about.
> Actually, I wasn't worried, but clients did complain about
> getting,
> "Internal Server Errors" (which usually means that a CGI program
> finished ungracefully).
> The CGIs I have to host are third party code that I am required
> to have executed.
> I suspect that the webserver couldn't spawn these CGI forks when
> the messages appeared.

I suspect the Internal Server Errors are completely unrelated.  They
usually indicate a fault in the cgi script, rather than any problem in
apache.  What do the error logs say at the time of these errors?

Joshua.