httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Wanted: help understanding doc for rotate log
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:26:44 GMT
On 8/16/06, siegfried <siegfried@heintze.com> wrote:
> I've been studying http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/rotatelogs.html
> and feel quite confused.
>
> I'm running windows server XP 2003.
>
> (1) Is rotate logs exclusively for httpd or can I use it for my
> cygwin/cron/perl jobs that run nightly and generate large log files?
>
> (2) In the documentation they say "CustomLog" and "ErrorLog". Are these
> commands I type in at the cygwin/bash command prompt? I get errors when I
> do. I don't see any such programs in /program files/apache
> group/apache2/bin.
>
> (3) Assuming the answer to #1 is that I can use it for my perl/cron jobs:
> how would I rotate my log files every 48 hours? Would I create a cron job to
> run once a day to run rotatelogs?

2 has been answered.

The answer to 1 is that rotatelogs is httpd-specific.  It is used only
as a piped-logging program that accepts log entries on standard input.
 It is not called from the command line.  It could be used for other
programs that have the capability of logging through a pipe to a
program, but I don't believe that is common.

Joshua.