httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy - HTTP Response Header and Query String Params
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:38:50 GMT
On 8/16/06, Brian Hill <jambone6@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I use a reverse proxy to modify a query string parameter in an HTTP
> response header coming from my backend server?
>
> I'm setting up Apache 2.2 as a reverse proxy in front of a 3rd party app.  I
> have just about everything working except for the following.  If I hit the
> http://myreverseproxy.server.com/some_path/some_page?query_string_params
>
> ... the reverse proxy passes this on to the backend server, which generates
> a response header with a location like:
>
> http://3rdparty.server.com/another_path/another_page?p_submit=http%3A%2F%2F3rdparty.server.com%2Fyetanotherpath
>
> Using ProxyPassReverse, I can change the first bit of the URI as needed, but
> how can I rewrite the query string parameter p_submit (from
> "3rdparty.server.com" to "myreverseproxy.server.com"?  Will ProxyPassReverse
> allow me to alter parameters?  Or, should I be using mod_rewrite
> (RewriteRule)?

As far as I know, there is no existing feature or module that can do this.

I'm not sure why it is really necessary, however.  Given that
ProxyPassReverse directs the request back to your reverse proxy, you
can monkey with the query string when you get the request back
(probably with mod_rewrite).

So, no, there is no way to make arbitrary changes to response headers,
but mod_rewrite can certainly handle this when it comes back as a new
request.

Joshua.