httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content Negotiation - English zh-TW and Chinese zh-CN
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:06:22 GMT
On 8/7/06, Alex Sink <Alex.Sink@vishay.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our website correctly handles several languages with content negotiation,
> but we wish to direct only our Chinese customers to our simplified Chinese
> pages, and have all other Chinese language-tags return English pages.  Does
> anyone know how to make our Chinese pages only show up for zh-CN browsers?
>
>   After reading the Apache manual and the relevant articles, I became
> convinced that modifying the following lines would produce the intended
> effect:
>
> AddLanguage zh-CN .zh-CN
> AddLanguage zh-TW .en   (was: AddLanguage zh-TW .zh-TW -- pages that are in
> development)
>
> AddLanguage zh .en (was added)
>
> This does work for the Chinese language tag variants, but it completely
> breaks our standard English content-negotiation, so we now get German (.de)
> pages where we should be getting English pages.(And English is higher in the
> language preferences, so I can only guess it reaches rule 8 of content
> negotiation, and picks alphabetically)
>
> I got the same results on versions 1.3.24 and 2.0.52 of apache(1.3.24 being
> our live machine), and would appreciate any help on getting our Simplified
> Chinese pages to the appropriate audience and English pages to other Chinese
> viewers.

Your problem report is not all that clear.  My understanding is that
you want browsers who send zh-CN in their Accept-Language to get pages
with the .zh-CN extension, but you want browsers who send zh-TW to get
pages with the .en extension.  This could be accomplished by marking
the .en pages with two different languages, but I don't believe apache
supports that.

I see two ways to handle this:

1. create a duplicate copy (or even better, a symlink of) the .en page
with the .zh-TW extension and use the standard
AddLanguage zh-TW .zh-TW
config.  You'd be lying to the clients about the language, but that
shouldn't be a big deal.

2. Eliminate all references to zh-TW in your config and use
LanguagePriority Prefer Fallback (available only in 2.x)
(and make sure en is high up in your LanguagePriority)

Joshua.