httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Kirkbride" <rob.kirkbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_log_config - time taken to serve the request, in microseconds
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:32:35 GMT

> On 8/5/06, Rob Kirkbride <rob.kirkbride@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/4/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> >

> >  On 8/4/06, Rob Kirkbride <rob.kirkbride@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I need to understand exactly what this figure means.
> > > Does the figure include any time for the response to be sent back to
> the
> > > client, or is it the time that the web server has completed the
> > processing?
> > >  We're getting some long duration and I need to understand if we've
> got
> > > network problems at our end, or if it may be because the user is
> running
> > > over a slow connection.
> > >

> > It is the time from the request is received to the time apache httpd
> > completely finishes with the request.  That will include the time
> > required to send the file over the network.
> >
> > Joshua.
> >
> > Thanks Joshua.
> > So the upshot is that it's a useless statistic to see how loaded/busy
> the
> > website is then? We have to achieve a certain percentage within a
> certain
> > time. Is there anything else I can do?
>
> A  certain percentage of what within a certain time?  How busy a
> website is depends on the performance of the network and the clients
> as well as the server, so your question doesn't seem well-defined.
>
> Joshua.
>
> Sorry you're right. We basically have bands whereby if we achieve >=99%
within 1 second the client pays us. If we're between say 98 and 99% the cost
is neutral, less than 98 and we pay them.
It's slightly more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.
We have to ensure we have enough web-servers to deal with the requests and
this is there way of checking.

Does that help?

Rob