httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <rc4...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_expires not working
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:48:22 GMT
Hi Joshua,

> The point is, if you know you need those modules, those lines do
> > absolutely nothing positive and may deceive you into thinking nothing
> > is wrong if the modules are ever removed.

ok, got that

> > That's all a tomcat issue that would be better addressed on a tomcat
> list.
>
> I've just fixed it - now the filter is working :)

> This is actually the first I've ever heard of someone trying to
> > override an Expires header.

Well, I don't want to OVERWRITE the header but to SET it to optimize
caching. Actually, this is done with mod_expires, however, since we're
forced to serve our HTML via Tomcat *sic*, we have the problem that Tomcat
always adds the fixed header "Expires Thu, 01.01.1970...." to any
static content
(like html, js, gifs
etc.), and hence mod_expires from Apache HTTP won't do anything.
Now, with this filter I can set the header at least to the value that is
needed to optimize caching on the client-side.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help, I'll call it a day now...

Gregor