httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <rc4...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_expires not working
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:29:59 GMT
Hi Joshua,

first, thanks for the info.

Anyhow, a few questions:

> > > Apache HTTPD 2.0.48, Suse 9 something, Tomcat 5.0.28 working together
> with
> > > Apache HTTPD via mod_jk.
>
> > Rather old version of apache.
>
> actually it's 2.0.49 - however, we do prefer some stable version here
> which undergo internal and external testing,
> therefore chaning apache is not an option. Besides, I don't think that this would solve
my problem.

> > All the <IfModule ...> and </IfModule> lines just hide useful error
> > messages.  Get rid of them.

ehem - could you explain that to me? I don't see the sence. If you're
hinting that I could figure out wether a module is installed or not,
I can see that via server-info - or do I miss your point here?

> > I don't think you really want an HTTP header called ServerTokens.
> > Perhaps you want to see the ServerTokens directive.

ok, will do that

> My understanding is that mod_expires acts only if no existing Expires
> > header exists.  It will not override existing headers.

hm, if it's really that, this would be bad news. Can I find this statement
somewhere in the docs (didn't find it, yet).
Currently I'm trying to write a filter in Tomcat to set the
Expires-Header, however, if I use

response.setHeader("Expires:",
createExpiresHeader()); in the doFilter(...)-method of my filter, the
header also looks somewhat awkward:
(the createExpiresHeader() creates the date-string)

Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 CET, : Thu, 3 Aug 2006 20:13:10 CEST

Seems I don't have any option to unset the header first. To me this would
look like a bug in Tomcat, since I'm expecting the method
response.setHeader(...)
to SET a header and not APPEND any content to an existing one.

I can, however, unset the header using mod_headers, currently I'm looking if
there's any regex to SET the header via mod_headers to the current date/time
plus 1 month - any idea, how I could do that?

Cheers!

Gregor