httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cairen Lajia <Cairen.La...@itec.suny.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using mod_auth_basic to secure dynamic pages from database
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:46:13 GMT
Joshua,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

We try to avoid restarting the apache as few as possible,
so beside using the <location> in httpd.conf, are there any other ways to
do this? Or any third part product that you know for this purpose?
Thanks again for your help!

Cairen

"Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent by: jslive@gmail.com
08/10/2006 11:34 AM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [users@httpd] Using mod_auth_basic to secure dynamic pages from
database

On 8/10/06, Cairen Lajia <Cairen.Lajia@itec.suny.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is a newbie question, and is my first post.
> I am trying to secure some pages of one of our applications using
> mod_auth_basic.
> I kind of know how to secure the page if it exists in the file system.
But
> in my case,
> all these pages are stored in the database, even including the folders.
> For example, below is the url for one of the pages:
> http://test.department.myschool.edu/confluence/display/cairen/page_title
> Except the
> "http://test.department.myschool.edu/confluence/", all the
> rest are retrieved from the database.
> In another words, the folders "/display/cairen", and page "page_title"
don't
> exist on the file system.
>
> I prefer to use .htaccess file since it doesn't require to restart the
> apache. How can
>  I get those dynamic pages secured using .htaccess? Are there any other
> alternatives instead of using .htaccess?
> I desperately need some help on this issue.
> Your input is highly appreciated!!

You can't use .htaccess to restrict resources that don't come from the
filesystem.

Instead, in httpd.conf, use <Location>. See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#file-and-web

Joshua.