httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to detect failed authentification ?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:00:43 GMT

It's not perfect because the underlying technology doesn't work the way you think it does.

I still get the impression that you think that basic authentication involves setting up a
persistent session and "logging-in". If you read the wikipedia link I sent, you will see that
this is not the case. The credentials are sent with every request and every request is independent.
There is no persistent session and so you are never really "logged-in" - you either have a
valid set of credentials that you present every time, or you don't.

That Joshua and Steve have done some lateral thinking and identified a method that should
work if you have PHP installed is happy chance, but it's not a general solution.

BTW, I'm not ranting on about this to be mean - I assume you have some security concerns that
lead you to employ basic auth. If so, it's important you know how it works and what it's limitations
are or you could get some nasty surprises and that would be bad for you and bad for the reputation
of apache.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks a lot !