httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Confused with VirtualHosts & Global ServerName/DocumentRoot
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 06:28:53 GMT

As soon as you start using virtual hosts, it is better to forget all
about "global" ServerName, DocumentRoot, etc. - ie, put everything in a
well-defined VH. Then you have only one "default" which you rightly have
deduced is the first one.

Then the only "global" directives (ie, outside VHs) should be those that
are truly global and meant to apply to all VHs.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> If it is supposed to be in both the global ServerName/DocumentRoot and
> <VirtualHost>, which section should I use for adding things such as
> <Directory> and <ScriptAlias> to that one website?  If I put it in the
> global config, then it would apply to any virtual host that doesn't
> have them defined in their <VirtualHost>.  So should I then have only
> ServerName, DocumentRoot, and things like denying .htaccess viewing in
> the global config, and then move the <ScriptAlias> and related
> directives for the main site into its first <VirtualHost>?
>
> Thanks for any help.  Sorry if this is confusing.  I'm not sure if I
> explained myself right.
>
> Ro

the sender's company.