httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Wood" <tww...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] piped log not getting any stdin
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:02:35 GMT
> On 8/16/06, Tim Wood <twwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to pipe my Apache 2.0.54 logs to a script, but never seem
> > to get any logs sent through the pipe.
> >

> > piped log program ' /bin/cat >> /var/log/apache2/test.log' failed unexpectedly
> > /bin/cat: >>: No such file or directory
>
> The piped log program must be an executable command with possible
> arguments, not something that you would pass to the shell.  So if you
> made a shell script containing
> #!/bin/sh
> /bin/cat >> /var/log/apache2/test.log
>
> and then used the shell script as the target, you would have more luck.
>
> Have you tried the python equivalent of a trivial program that simply
> pipes the log entries to a file?  What does it look like?
>
> Joshua.

Good point on why straight out "cat" didn't work, but I just tried
using your mini cat script and that doesn't write anything to the log
either.

Thinking maybe python was causing me trouble, I also tried this perl script:
(copied from http://www.sudleyplace.com/pipederrorlogs.html)
#!/usr/bin/perl

$|=1; # Use unbuffered output
print while <STDIN>;
I don't get any output from that either.

Note that having apache write the logs directly works fine, it is only
a problem when I try to use a pipe.

Any other ideas?