httpd-users mailing list archives

From "alan bryan" <alan.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authorization in Apache 2.2
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:33:24 GMT

> On Monday 14 August 2006 20:44, alan bryan wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up some sort of basic authentication in Apache
> > 2.2authenticating against a PostgreSQL
> > 8.1 database.
> >
> > Has anyone been able to successfully get the new mod_authn_dbd to work
> on
> > FreeBSD?
>
> Of course:-)

Thanks for responding.

Any hints as to how?  I installed ports/apache22.  What compile time options
are needed to make this work?
I tried "WITH_PGSQL=YES WITH_CUSTOM_AUTH=dbd" and that didn't seem to do
it.  When using the example config from
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authn_dbd.html    I get the
following errors:
[crit] (70023)This function has not been implemented on this platform: DBD:
failed to initialise
That's what made me question if anyone has been able to get it to work on
FreeBSD.   Either something was missed when I compiled or this is actually
not a valid combination (apache2.2, postgresql8.1, FreeBSD 6.1).

> I've also tried mod_auth_pgsql which compiles fine but I get the error:
> > "No Authn provider configured"
> > when I run it using the same .htaccess that works fine in Apache 2.0.
>
> That looks like mod_auth_basic getting in before it.

How do I specify the order so that mod_auth_basic doesn't get in before it?
The examples on the mod_auth_pgsql site show that you should set the
AuthType to basic - I tried it both at the top and bottom of my .htaccess
file with the same results.  Is this something where I need to change the
order the modules are loaded in httpd.conf?

And you really shouldn't tr and run any SQL-based authentication
> from .htaccess.  mod_authn_dbd won't let you (it would be a security
> risk to let .htaccess users specify their own SQL query to be executed
> by the server), and using .htaccess is not compatible with efficient
> usage of SQL.

I understand.  When I tried the mod_authn_dbd as per the example on
apache.org I got the error described above about it not being implemented on
this platform and that wasn't in a .htaccess.  I am trying .htaccess for
mod_auth_pgsql as it's worked like that before.  I don't think this is the
cause of the current error though.

> So, any ideas to fix the above issues or get some other way to get basic
> > auth to work on 2.2?
>
> You'd need to me more specific about what doesn't work for you.

Hopefully the above is more specific.  Additionally here's my .htaccess for
using mod_auth_pgsql that works fine in apache 2.0 but not 2.2:

AuthName "Administration Area"

AuthType basic

Auth_PG_host localhost
Auth_PG_port 5432