httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vincent Bray" <nood...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can't get mod_rewrite to do anything
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:21:15 GMT
On 8/1/06, Ken Schutte <kschutte@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using apache2 on Debian, and have the following in
> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf,
>
> LoadModule rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
> RewriteLog /var/log/apache2/rewrite_log
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/index.html /index.php
>
> I don't get any errors on apache2 start, but the rule doesn't work.
> I've tried a bunch of other rules too, and I can't get any simple
> RewriteRules to do anything.  It created the rewrite_log log file, but
> it is empty, so I do not even know where to look to track down the problem.

The debian apache layout usually includes a default virtual host in a
directory called sites-enabled. If you 've got one of those, your
rewrite rules in the main server context will have no effect. There
are two ways around this, either move the rules in to the default
vhost, or add RewriteEngine On and RewriteOptions Inherit to that
vhost.

--
noodl