httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Keltz <...@cse.yorku.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] apache 2.2 and mod_auth_pam
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:07:40 GMT
I am trying to upgrade from running mod_auth_pam on the Apache 1.3.X
series to mod_auth_pam on the Apache 2.2.X series.  I see that the
authentication and authorization has changed in Apache from the 2.1
series.  I was able to successfully compile the mod_auth_pam module for
Apache 2.0.X, but I can't use it because I get errors in the log files:

Tue Aug 01 11:54:52 2006] [error] [client X] (9)Bad file descriptor:
Could not open password file: (null)
[Tue Aug 01 11:54:58 2006] [error] Internal error: pcfg_openfile()
called with NULL filename

... which, as I understand it is because I haven't specified an
AuthBasicProvider since the module doesn't define one.

Has anyone made available a mod_authnz_pam module?  (or mod_authn_pam
and mod_authz_pam)? I can't imagine that i'm the first to want to use
pam authentication on the 2.2.X series server.  If a module isn't
available, is there any way to use the existing authentication module
with the 2.2 series server? I can't seem to find anything in the
documentation on this.  The only thing I can find is a claim that most
2.0 modules will continue to work with 2.2 - they just need to be
recompiled, but it seems like with the changes in authentication and
authorization that more than recompilation may be necessary...

I wonder why the "pam" module hasn't made it into the default Apache
installation yet? I imagine it's used in quite a few installations..

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Jason.