httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Using mod-rewrite to mimic other domains
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:08:35 GMT
I have several websites with similar sections and pages, hosted on the same server (a virtual
private server). Each one is a content management system that uses mod-rewrite to display
pages like these:

www.geobop.org/World/Arizona
www.geoworld.org/Arizona
www.geozoo.org/World/Arizona
www.geosymbols.org/World/Arizona
www.politix.us/World/Arizona

Because the foundations of these websites are so similar, I'd like to find a way to combine
them into one website - though still displaying dynamic pages at the same URL's.

So, if all my scripts, includes and content were hosted on www.geobop.org,
 is there a way to use mod-rewrite to display a page generated on www.geobop.org under the
URL www.geozoo.org/Topics, www.geoworld.org/Arizona, etc.?

I've already revised Geobop so I can now display all five websites on my computer. I simply
modify a PHP echo function at the head of my static pages. For example, if $MySite = 'Geobop',
it displays Geobop material. If $MySite = 'GeoWorld', it displays GeoWorld material.

Anyway, I can use PHP to generate dynamic URL's, like www.geozoo.org/World/Japan. I just need
to figure out a way to use mod-rewrite to make it display at that address.

Thanks!