httpd-users mailing list archives

From Charles Michener <micheck...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache on XP suddenly acting strangely
Date Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:12:57 GMT
I have been running Apache 2.2.2 on a Windows XP computer for several months. It has behaved
very well even under a load of several hits/second continuously - until now...

I have tried to use only the default httpd.conf settings with several virtual host sessions.

The problem at present is that the program does not write to the error.log; one of the two
instances of httpd.exe stays at 5 meg the other continues to grow and when it reaches about
30 meg, Windows shuts Apache down.

( In contrast, last week when everything was OK, one instance stayed at 5 and the other stayed
at 8 meg)

If I force Apache to 'stop', the error log is written to. there are many of the following
error messages (1 or 2 per minute)

[Sat Aug 12 09:40:02 2006] [warn] (OS 64)The specified network name is no longer available.
 : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

[Sat Aug 12 09:46:55 2006] [warn] (OS 121)The semaphore timeout period has expired.  : winnt_accept:
Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

The load on the server is normal or a little below normal - until this morning I might restart
Apache once every three weeks --- now - 8th time this morning

Any suggestions where I might start looking

Charles Michener