httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts on a Mac - Almost There
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 00:16:30 GMT
I'm trying to set up Apache virtual hosts on my new MacBook Pro, and I  think I'm almost there,
but I'm hitting a snag somewhere. I get the  standard Apache greeting when I type http://localhost/
into my browser,  but I when I type in the name of one of my websites - http://Geobop/ -
it defaults to my ONLINE website, www.geobop.org.

Here are the steps I followed...

I copied my websites from my PC, locating them at  /Library/Webserver/Documents. The site
I'm experimenting with is at  /Library/Webserver/Documents/Geobop.

I copied my httpd.conf file to my Desktop, modified it with TextEdit,  then used Terminal
to copy it back to its original location  (/private/etc/httpd), so it now looks like this:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName Geobop
ServerAlias Geobop *.Geobop
DocumentRoot /Library/Webserver/Documents/Geobop
</VirtualHost>

I also opened NetInfo Manager and added Geobop under "machines". So  under machines, I now
have the following...

broadcasthost
Geobop
localhost
XAMPP (which I'll try to delete)

In the bottom window, Geobop and localhost both register 127.0.0.1 for  ip_address, ./local
for "serves."

I thought the problem might relate to PHP, as Geobop's home page is index.php. But I copied
a file named index.html into the folder, with the same results.

Any idea where I went wrong? Thanks.