httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authentication via link
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:07:44 GMT
On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:43, Scott Wood wrote:
> I have an Apache server using basic authentication.  I have a directory
> that I'm attempting to protect.  The authentication works fine but what
> I would like to be able to accomplish is allowing direct access via a
> link on another website that I manage.

You would need to write (or commission) a module to authenticate based
on Referer.  That of course wouldn't tell you the authenticated name of
your user, unless you had an individualised URL at one (or both) of the
hosts in question.  It would also fail for users whose privacy settings
won't tell you where they're coming from.

Alternatively, a move to directory authentication such as LDAP might help.

--
Nick Kew