httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ro BGCT" <rob...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Confused with VirtualHosts & Global ServerName/DocumentRoot
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 06:04:06 GMT
Hello,

I'm confused on how to setup named-based virtual hosts correctly.  I
know that the first <VirtualHost> directive will be the default one,
but what am I supposed to do with the global ServerName, DocumentRoot,
etc.  Wouldn't it be redundant to have them listed again in the first
<VirtualHost>?

If it is supposed to be in both the global ServerName/DocumentRoot and
<VirtualHost>, which section should I use for adding things such as
<Directory> and <ScriptAlias> to that one website?  If I put it in the
global config, then it would apply to any virtual host that doesn't
have them defined in their <VirtualHost>.  So should I then have only
ServerName, DocumentRoot, and things like denying .htaccess viewing in
the global config, and then move the <ScriptAlias> and related
directives for the main site into its first <VirtualHost>?

Thanks for any help.  Sorry if this is confusing.  I'm not sure if I
explained myself right.

Ro