httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Getting more log info
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:20:51 GMT
On 7/6/06, Nico De Ranter <nico@sonycom.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup a 'Trac' environment on my web server. I think I
> configured apache correctly but for some reason I get a permission
> denied.  The log files just say:
>
> [Thu Jul 06 17:03:08 2006] [error] [client 43.221.60.239] client denied
> by server
> configuration: /www-ssl/server/python-2.4.3/share/trac/cgi-bin/trac.cgi
>
> Is there any way to get apache to log *why* it thinks the client should
> be denied access?
>
> (using apache 2.2.0)

Unfortunately, no.  I remember seeing a patch that could spit out
config file line numbers with this type of message, but I don't think
it got comitted.

The good news is that it usually isn't too difficult to find the
problem.  This message almost always means that an Order/Deny/Allow
sequence is denying access.  So start by checking all those directives
in httpd.conf and .htaccess.  In particular, since the 2.2 default is
to deny all access, you'll need to open up that directory using
something like
<Directory /www-ssl/server/python-2.4.3/share/trac/cgi-bin/>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Joshua.