httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] specifying https-specific directives
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:16:54 GMT
On 7/3/06, Marton Fabo <mortee.lists@kavemalna.hu> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a Apache/2.0.55 running on a BSD machine.
>
> I'm wondering how I could specify a different set of directives for a
> given directory based on whether it's accesed through plain HTTP or
> HTTPS - but without having to put the HTTPS-specific directives into the
> according VirtualHost section.
>
> Like accessing an environment variable indicating the transport used or
> something like that - based on which I could differentiate the directives.
>
> Specifically, I want to allow access only for my local subnet through
> plain HTTP, but allow access from anywere through HTTPS.
>
> The reason why I don't want to put the HTTPS-specific directives into
> the VirtualHost section is that I want all settings applying to a given
> directory to be in one place - and my VirtualHost section is included
> from a separate ssl.conf, so using that would mean separating the
> HTTPS-specific directives for the directory from the global directives.
>
> Could anyone point me to the right direction? I couldn't find any
> discussion of this matter on the net.

The variables available with mod_ssl are discussed here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ssl.html#envvars
See also the SSLOptions directive.

These variables can be used with mod_rewrite, and may also work with
mod_access, depending on the configuration.

But my opinion is that you should just place the directives in the
appropriate <VirtualHost>.  Anything else would be adding needless
complexity for hte sake of retaining an arbitrary config structure.

Joshua.