httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Has mod speling changed?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:31:57 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc Perkel [mailto:marc@perkel.com]
>
> I want case insensitive URLs.

Just out of interest, why?

The only reason I can imagine is that you have inherited a legacy
filesystem where people have been using haphazard file-naming
conventions and so you have a lot of files with unpredictable case in
their names. If so, it might be esier in the long run to write a perl
script to rename the files. Usually, switching everything to lower-case
is the least common denominator.

If, on the other hand, you've unilaterally decided that the web would be
a better place If wE coUld aLL tyPe anY way WE Like and are on a crusade
to improve it, then I wish you luck!

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> 		For that matter you would think that Linux should
> 		support case insensitive file systems.
>

> 	You mean like Windows filesystems?  I'm not aware of
> any filesystem
> 	that Windows supports but Linux doesn't.  Of course, support
> 	doesn't mean recommendation.
>

> In Windows if you access a file by any case it matches.

the sender's company.