httpd-users mailing list archives

From Vik Rubenfeld <v...@mindspring.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Measuring Visits to Site - Anybody Use SiteMeter?
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:12:05 GMT
I use server log analysis software (123LogAnalyzer) to count visits
to my site. But a lot of people use SiteMeter (from sitemeter.com).

It seems to me that SiteMeter works well with sites that get roughly
5,000 visits a day or more, but with lower traffic sites, the
SiteMeter stats seem to be extremely low compared to the server log
results. In my case, the SiteMeter shows about 10 times less visits!
And this is after I’ve filtered out robots and spammers. My spam
filter excludes 690 spammers!

Here’s an example. Stats for July 1st:

123LogAnalyzer  server log analysis software (no spammers filtered
out): 3,293 visits.
Google Urchin server log analysis software (no spammers filtered
out): 3,726 sessions.

123LogAnalyzer  server log analysis software (spammers filtered out):
2,048 visits.

SiteMeter: 150 visits!

Do you use SiteMeter, and if so do you see a difference between your
server log stats, and the SiteMeter stats?

Thanks in advance to all for any info.

-Vik