httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Wilkerson" <r.d.wilker...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to restart
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:15:50 GMT
I'd check your config first.  I forget the syntax for Redhat, but for
my Knoppix system it's "/usr/sbin/apache2 -t".  To check your system,
locate the httpd executable and display it's help:

"/path/to/httpd -h"

Then, assuming everything checks out, check /var/log/httpd.  Hopefully
this will provide enough info to move forward.

On 7/24/06, Robert Fox <rfox2@nd.edu> wrote:
> Hello again-
>
> I haven't received any responses on this, so I thought maybe I could simplify my question.
If Apache fails to restart,
> where should I look to find out why? The log files? System logs? Other Apache files (which
ones)? Should I run a
> diagnostic while Apache is frozen? What should I look for?
>
> Thanks very much for any replies. I'm starting somewhat from ground zero here.
>
> Rob Fox

the most part, the performance has
> been very reliable. However, there have been times during very peak usage periods when
the Apache servers will freeze
> and essentially stop responding to further requests. We have several CGI applications
running under the server that can
> be taxing, and sometimes Apache seems to get overwhelmed, and the maximum number of available
server spawns are reached.

> When this happens, I've tried to restart Apache by first shutting it down and then starting
the server again. However,
> what usually happens is that the first server process will start, and child processes
do not spawn. This renders Apache
> useless again, and I'm usually forced to completely re-boot the server machine on which
Apache is running in order to
> clear RAM and reset the network connections. Then, Apache comes up and everything is
fine until the next incident. Here
> are some specs on our installation:
>
> Server version: Apache/2.0.54
> OS Version: Red Hat EL 3.0 (kernel 2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
> Modules loaded: PHP 5, authentication modules, etc.
>
> The CGI applications are mainly Perl based.
>
> I've looked in the Apache logs (both main and error) and there is no indication that
the server is failing around the
> time that Apache freezes up. It seems odd that I can't stop the Apache servers and restart
them, which solves 90% of
> these sorts of issues with Apache. Except for administrative purposes, I rarely need
to restart Apache, so this isn't a
> major issue. But, I would like to know where to look to try and determine what is happening
when I'm unable to restart
> Apache. It's odd that the first process would start but the child processes won't. Any
ideas?

> Thank you for your help,
>
> Rob Fox

Rob Wilkerson