httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Wilkerson" <r.d.wilker...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: mod_rewrite Scenario Assistance
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 14:49:10 GMT
Sorry, by CGI variables, I meant the webserver variables.  Stored in
the CGI scope by ColdFusion and in the SERVER[] scope in PHP, if that
helps.  Variables like SCRIPT_NAME, HTTP_REFERER, etc.

I tried your sample code against several use cases and it does
everything our current module does and more.  I still have to test the
webserver variables to know whether I have to pass the URL in the
query string, but I think that should be a formality.

Thanks again for all of your help.  Without it, this effort would have
taken significantly longer than it did.  I appreciate that.

> On 7/1/06, Rob Wilkerson <r.d.wilkerson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks, Joshua.  I'm glad I asked.  The ways I was planning to attempt
> > would've been *far* more complex.  I had no idea it would be that
> > simple.
> >
> > If I understand you correctly...mod_rewrite does *not* modify the CGI
> > variables?  If not, then I probably don't have to pass anything along
> > at all.  That, of course, would be ideal.
>
> If by "CGI variables" you mean the query string, then my example did,
> in fact, change them.  But if you leave off the "?$1" they should be
> left unchanged.  (Your script may need to look in
> REDIRECT_QUERY_STRING.  That's why I suggest dumping all the variables
> to see what is available.)
>

> > One last question (for now), if you don't mind: can you explain your
> > last paragraph?  For me, local referrers still need redirection.  This
> > is for a CMS that stores pages as data.  The "landing page" is
> > actually a rendering engine that compiles and caches the data as a
> > physical file.  I was trying to simplify the example scenario.  Even
> > so, I'd like to understand what your final condition is doing.
> > Specifically, the NC portion.  I believe the rest is checking the
> > referring URL for anything that is not within the site I'm accessing
> > and redirecting only then.
>
> I thought you mean langing page as in a page that you redirect
> off-site visitors to when they first arrive.  You are correct it is
> not needed in the scenario you describe.  NC stands for No Case,
> meaning the test is case-insensitive.  Check the documentation for
> RewriteCond.
>
> Joshua.

Rob Wilkerson