httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Morgan Gangwere" <0.fracta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Windows XP Apache 2.0 msi file buggy?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 03:25:42 GMT
k. that makes sense too... though I have seen that on Linux, and under
the Monkey web server... thats the RFC standard coming into play...
that answers my suspisions!

On 7/23/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Morgan Gangwere wrote:
> > sometimes... I have apache running on linux, and the filename
> > "newsletter april 06.pdf" gets mangled as
> > "newsletter%20april%3006%3pdf" - apache dosent do the hex conversion
> > logically sometimes when it serves the file. thats an old issue that I
> > think has snuck around the shadows..
>
> Morgan, fyi that's apropos of nothing about this issue.  %20 escaping the
> file name spaces is required by RFC 2616.  Windows IIS rarely enforces
> the RFC ;-) so you will see IIS serving *content* with ' ' characters while
> Apache (correctly) requires %20 symbols.
>
> R Bloom, back in London in '00 wrote a very silly little mod_apachecon, if
> I remember the name, which was a trivial early example of how to write
> apache 2 filter modules; his module 'fixed' the content on the convention
> cd, which had ' ' characters in uri links on the cd ;-) obviously authored
> by a convention company which uses local files/iis.
>
> (oh ' ' is valid on your local file:/// requests, another reason authors goof).

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.