httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Anyi Zhu" <a...@uwaterloo.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL issues.
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:20:23 GMT
mmm...ya, I have never ever thought about the point about router! I
have like 2 routers connected before the line goes to my laptop! So
may I know for the forwarding, is it necessary to forward from port
443 to port 443 or I can forward to any other port? By the way, what
is port 443 for? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Anyi

On 7/7/06, Evan Platt <evan@espphotography.com> wrote:
> At 09:47 AM 7/7/2006, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >Thanks so much for your reply.
> >Couple of qestions:
> >Do I have to turn off all the firewalls? I have Macfee Antivirus
> >installed on my laptop, but I am not sure whether it has the firewall
> >fuction or not because there is another product from Macfee called
> >Macfee Personal Firewall. Also, by turning off firewall, would that
> >post a security risk to my laptop? How should I get around with that?
> >I have not checked the error log yet since I do not have my laptop
> >with me right now. I will check it tonight and let you know what it
> >says ASAP. Thanks a lot!
>
> You may not need to turn off the firewall, but any and all firewalls
> will need to allow port 443 in and outbound. And if you're behind a
> NAT gateway, the gateway will need to forward port 443 from the
> public  IP address to the private IP address the computer running apache is on.
>
> You SHOULD, regardless, on the machine running apache, be able to
> browse to http://localhost:443 regardless of the firewall. - Note
> SHOULD, some firewalls are so strict you can't.

Best Wishes,
Anyi Zhu
Undergraduate Student
School of Mathematics