httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Morris <m...@datdec.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache Crashes - Resource temporarily unavailable: setuid
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:22:12 GMT
Hi,
I'm running Apache 2.0.54 on Fedora Core 4.  Apache crashes with a
frequency varying between a few minutes and a few hours.  Apache doesn't
die cleanly, so it can't start again until the child processes have all
died.  When I try to start Apache immediately after a crash, I get the
following error:

(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
64.90.180.93:11008
Unable to open logs

Only by killing all Apache processes, or at least the ones binding to
port 11008, can I restart Apache immediately.  Otherwise I need to wait
a few minutes before Apache will start again.

The following is a snapshot of the error log around a crash time:

[Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [alert] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable:
setuid: unable to change to uid: 48
[Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [alert] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable:
setuid: unable to change to uid: 48
[Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [alert] Child 1169 returned a Fatal error...
Apache is exiting!
[Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab
the accept mutex
[Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab
the accept mutex

Google searches indicated to me that increasing swap space might help,
but after adding another gig of swap space Apache continued to crash.  I
was unable to find any other promising information.

I had seen a similar problem where I was unable to su to a user, but by
changing their uid I was able to su to them.  Thus I tried making Apache
run as a different user (I didn't think it would be wise to try to
change Apache's uid).  This lengthened the time between crashes, but
didn't stop them altogether.  I am currently running Apache as this
other user to keep Apache up for longer.

I also thought that pam_limits might be causing a problem.  Turning
pam_limits off made Apache crash more often.  Increasing the number of
processes that Apache was allowed to run in pam_limits was not helpful.

I haven't made any recent configuration changes to my machine other than
those mentioned to try to fix Apache.  Before a few days ago, Apache had
been running for weeks without crashing.  How can I keep Apache from
crashing, and what might have cause it to start crashing in the first place?