httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert Fox <rf...@nd.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache fails to restart
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:49:50 GMT
Hello again-

I haven't received any responses on this, so I thought maybe I could simplify my question.
If Apache fails to restart,
where should I look to find out why? The log files? System logs? Other Apache files (which
ones)? Should I run a
diagnostic while Apache is frozen? What should I look for?

Thanks very much for any replies. I'm starting somewhat from ground zero here.

Rob Fox

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Apache overwhelmed, restart fails
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:42:07 -0400
From: Robert Fox <rfox2@nd.edu>
To: users@httpd.apache.org

Hello-

We've been using Apache 2 here at Notre Dame libraries for several years now, and for the
most part, the performance has
been very reliable. However, there have been times during very peak usage periods when the
Apache servers will freeze
and essentially stop responding to further requests. We have several CGI applications running
under the server that can
be taxing, and sometimes Apache seems to get overwhelmed, and the maximum number of available
server spawns are reached.

When this happens, I've tried to restart Apache by first shutting it down and then starting
the server again. However,
what usually happens is that the first server process will start, and child processes do not
spawn. This renders Apache
useless again, and I'm usually forced to completely re-boot the server machine on which Apache
is running in order to
clear RAM and reset the network connections. Then, Apache comes up and everything is fine
until the next incident. Here
are some specs on our installation:

Server version: Apache/2.0.54
OS Version: Red Hat EL 3.0 (kernel 2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
Modules loaded: PHP 5, authentication modules, etc.

The CGI applications are mainly Perl based.

I've looked in the Apache logs (both main and error) and there is no indication that the server
is failing around the
time that Apache freezes up. It seems odd that I can't stop the Apache servers and restart
them, which solves 90% of
these sorts of issues with Apache. Except for administrative purposes, I rarely need to restart
Apache, so this isn't a
major issue. But, I would like to know where to look to try and determine what is happening
when I'm unable to restart
Apache. It's odd that the first process would start but the child processes won't. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help,

Rob Fox