httpd-users mailing list archives

From Arjun Datta <ar...@greatgulfhomes.com>
Subject [users@httpd] flushing packets in Apache 2.2
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:15:47 GMT
Hi,

I am running Apache version 2.2 on Fedora 5.  I have set the webserver
up to act as a loadbalancing proxy server that loadbalances requests
between several other php and coldfusion webservers.

I am using the mod_rewrite module's RewriteEngine to rewrite URLs by
converting the destination server address based on the file extension of
the page requested.  The conversion is done by a perl script that is
pointed to by RewriteMap.  My solution is based on the loadlbalancing
example, part 3 in the Advanced Rewrite Guide on the apache mod_rewrite
documentation page.

Now, sometimes the pages requested contain php or coldfusion reports
that contain very large tables.  These pages have a tag at the top that
tell the user to "please wait" as the server is processing the request.
Once the request gets completely processed and the table has been
generated, the tags get hidden.

The problem is that since apache waits for the entire request to come
through before passing on the page to the client, the "please wait"
message is never displayed.  I would like to flush the request at a
certain interval so that whatever has been received till that point gets
sent to the user and the rest follows after.  This would solve the
problem as it would first display the message and then eventually the
rest of the request.

Is there a way to flush requests at a certain point in Apache 2.2?  I am
aware that mod_proxy's ProxyPass directive has a flushpackets option in
Apache 2.3 however I wish to find a solution without using the mod_proxy
module as it lacks the flexibility I need.

Here are snippets of the relevant portions of my
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file:

#
# Proxy Server directives. Uncomment the following lines to
# enable the proxy server:

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests Off

#<Proxy *>
#    Order deny,allow
#    Allow from all
#    Allow from .greatgulfhomes.com
#</Proxy>

#
# Enable/disable the handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
# ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing #Via:
headers)
# Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block
#
#ProxyVia On

RewriteEngine on
RewriteMap    lb      prg:/etc/httpd/conf/lb.pl
RewriteRule   ^/(.+)$ ${lb:$1}           [P,L]

Regards,
Arjun