httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Gale <michael.g...@pason.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: limiting log files' size
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:14:46 GMT
Hello,

	On Linux there is an app called logrotate, this looks after all the
logs under /var/log directory.

It has a copytruncate feature:
copytruncate
               Truncate  the original log file in place after creating a
copy, instead of moving the old log file and optionally creating a new
one, It can be used when some pro-gram can not be told to close its
logfile and thus might continue writing (appending) to the previous log
file forever.  Note that there is a very small time slice between
copying  the  file and truncating it, so some logging data might be
lost.  When this option is used, the create option will have no effect,
as the old log file stays in place.

What does FreeBSD use to rotate it's logs, it most likely has the same
features ?

With logrotate you can specify size.

Michael

Joost de Heer wrote:
> Mario Pavlov wrote:
>
>>Hi guys :)
>>I was searching the documentation for a while for some way to get my
>>httpd-access.log limited by size
>>but I didn't found anything...
>>is there a way to limit my log files by size ?
>>for example when the log file reaches 100Mbytes to stop growing and evry
>>new line to overwrites the oldest
>

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/rotatelogs.html
>
> Joost

Michael Gale