httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pieter Vanmeerbeek <pieter.vanmeerb...@able.be>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: RPC over HTTP through mod_proxy
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:53:29 GMT
Hi Paul and Hans,

I tried to create a setup similar to the one Paul did (with https on the
internet and http on the secure lan).  I couldn't get this working even
on the 2.0.53, ie. owa and active sync works fine RPC does some strange
things. If you wait a very long time ( more then5 minutes) it eventually
gets a sync.However using a port forwording this works immediatly. Do
you guys have the same timing problem or did I do something wrong?
Inspecting a tcpdump shows rpc errors, however it is not clear to me
what they mean.

Is there a way to do some troubleshooting on the RPC connection?  How
can I check my ssl offloading   settings? The certificates are imported
correctly  as they are the same ones for the owa. My setup works fine if
I try to make anr RPC over http(s) connection on the lan itself (checked
with rpcdiagnostics in outlook).

Since everything works from the lan and  the reverse proxy works for
owa, I suppose it has something to do with the ssl ofloading settings?
Do you use basic or ntlm authentication in the outlook settings? I
suppose basic ?

kind regards,
Pieter

Paul Freeman wrote:

>Hans Maurer <hans <at> red.roses.de> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to grant road warrior users access to our company Exchange server
>>through RPC over HTTP.  In my setup, an Apache 2.2.2 on a FreeBSD server in
>>the DMZ should act as a proxy between the Internet and the IIS on on the
>>Exchange server.  The communication is SSL-encrypted in both directions
>>(SSLEngine and SSLProxyEngine On).
>>
>>Unfortunately, the Outlook client just hangs when trying to access Exchange
>>through the proxy.  The Apache error log shows these messages:
>>

>Hans
>Thanks for your email.  I was beginning to think I had configured something
>incorrectly (still may have!) in trying to get rpc over http working to an
>exchange 2003 SP2 server:-)
>
>I have been able to get OWA access to work without problems and can connect via
>rpc over http over the local LAN to the exchange server also.
>
>However, I am experiencing exactly the same problem you describe when trying to
>use apache as the front end proxy.  I have tried apache 2.0.54, 2.0.58 and 2.2.2
>and they all behave the same way in relation to this problem.
>
>I had also noticed the very long content length in some ethereal packet dumps I
>did on the non-ssl connection between apache and the exchange server (my config
>is outlook client -> (ssl) -> apache -> (non-ssl) -> exchange) but I was not
>sure what it meant.
>
>I will be keen to see if anyone has worked out how to overcome this.  For the
>moment, I will try apache 2.0.53, as you mentioned it does work in this
>configuration.
>
>Regards
>
>Paul

Able: 1996-2006: already 10 safe years in YOUR company!

aXs GUARD has completed security and anti-virus checks on this e-mail (http://www.axsguard.com)