httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Has mod speling changed?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 05:11:36 GMT
On Thursday 27 July 2006 01:16, Marc Perkel wrote:
> OK - So - this is a bug and needs to be fixed? You would think that an
> HTTP server as popular as Apache would be able to support case
> insensitive URLs.

There is no such thing as a "case insensitive URL".

There are open, published internetworking specifications that define
precisely what a URL is.  It can be botched to appear case-insensitive,
though at a *very* high cost to the network infrastructure.

> For that matter you would think that Linux should
> support case insensitive file systems.

You mean like Windows filesystems?  I'm not aware of any filesystem
that Windows supports but Linux doesn't.  Of course, support
doesn't mean recommendation.

--
Nick Kew