httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rick Hogg <eulipi...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache on Xubuntu problem
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:36:24 GMT
Hello,
Newbie question here, but whenever I try to run Apache
in Xubuntu Linux, using the command "sudo
/etc/init.d/apache2 start" I get the following error:

apache2: Could not determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to
address [::]:80
Unable to open logs

The Xubuntu forum says to use
"nano /etc/hostname" then "hostname --file
/etc/hostname" but that breaks my installation with
this error:
"sudo: unable to lookup rick-desktop.local via
gethostbyname()"

How can I get Apache up and running?

Thanks in advance!