httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jaqui Greenlees <jaqui_greenl...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content-type in cgi scripting
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:03:35 GMT

--- Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 July 2006 05:18, jsandlin@satx.rr.com
> wrote:
>
> > I've been testing with mozilla and all was cool.
> Then I used Internet
> > Exploder on a windows box and it wants to download
> my perl script (when it
> > does, the content of the file is the text output
> that I wanted in the
> > browser window).  If I change "plain" to "html"
> exploder works fine - but
> > my text looks like mush.
>
> Congratulations on actually making those tests (we
> have a steady stream of
> people asking that question without even telling us
> *what* is "downloaded").
>
> The answer is simple: MSIE doesn't even try to
> support plain text (just as it
> declines to make any attempt to support XHTML).

Not quite accurate Nick, if the first line in an xhtml
document is < ? xml version="1.0" ? > then msie does
render both xhtml and css correctly.
 [ spaces added to ensure html enabled clients don't
render it ]

I tested this on my own site, and by adding that one
line, I had done all msie custom coding needed for my
xhtml & css site to render correctly.

Without that, just the xhtml doctype to start, msie
does not handle the xhtml & css correctly at all

Jaqui

Jeff Henager: "If the average user can put a CD in and boot the system and follow the prompts,
he can install and use Linux. If he can't do that simple task, he doesn't need to be around
technology."