httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Performance Tuning Documentation?
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:51:47 GMT
On Monday 10 July 2006 19:44, Alexander Lazic wrote:
> On Mon 10.07.2006 00:31, James W. Anderson wrote:
> >Why doesn't it return an HTTP error when the number of concurrent users
> >exceeds MaxClients?
>
> For this reason you should use a *tool* before the webserver which
> detect this error and send a proper message to the client, imho.

Indeed.  You can only return an HTTP error after you've accepted an HTTP
request.  But MaxClients limits the number of concurrent requests you'll
accept, and *by definition* prevents you sending them an HTTP error.

Rather than interpose a non-HTTP solution in front of the webserver,
I'd propose you raise MaxClients, and install some other means (such
as mod_load_average) to protect your server from loads above what
your application software can manage.

There might also be simple ways for your server to handle *much*
bigger loads.  For example:
  - if using Prefork, switch to a threaded MPM
  - if using CGI, switch to fastcgi or in-process CGI (eg mod_perl)
  - if using LAMP, switch to DBD

--
Nick Kew