httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Lazic <al-httpdus...@none.at>
Subject Re: SV: Re: [users@httpd] Distributed Web Server
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:44:47 GMT
Hi,

On Die 04.07.2006 15:48, Danesh Daroui wrote:

>Our bottleneck will be mostly bandwidth since our servers are fast
>enought. Frankly, I didn't get anything from your solutions
>(HW-Loadbalancer and SW-Loadbalancer). Are they software/hardware
>products? Would you please explain?

Well you have identified your bottleneck then you have the following
options, from my point of view:

1.) Upgrade the bandwidth ;-)
2.) Get more lines.

What is your infrastructure, is it like this?!

     Internet

        |more then 100Mbit

  +------------+
  | isp-router |
  +------------+

        | 100mbit

  +------------+
  | your server|
  +------------+

3.) One connect point and more *direct* answer server:

    +------------------+
    |      client      |
    +------------------+

    +------------------+
    | www.whatever.com |
    +------------------+
          |redirect the client
          | to www[1-n].whatever.com
    +------------------+
    |      client      |
    +------------------+

    +-----------------------+
    | www[1-n].whatever.com |
    +-----------------------+

Pros:
1.) You should use per server one line, thefore the bandwidth problem
    would be solved :-)
2.) Trivial loadbalancing.

Cons:
1.) Maybe expensive, because you need more HW-Boxen(Webserver)
2.) The bookmarking isn't very nice, expect you make a frameset around
    the main site :-(

4.) Tuncate more lines from your isp, but i'am not a network guru and
therfore i have only a theoretical idea i'am not sure if it work for
you.

         Internet

           |more then 100Mbit

  +------------------------+
  | *THE ISP ROUTER/SWITCH*|
  +------------------------+
     |Line1 |Line2 |Line3
      | your server    |

5.) Ask a *competent* consulting Company, yea it't not easy to find one
    ;-)
6.) Due the fact that you *know* that you have a bandwidth problem the
Loadbalancer solutions would not help you, i think.

But i think this is OT for this list, isn't it?!

regards

Alex