httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Remote log files?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:07:22 GMT
On 30.06.06 18:12, Khai Doan wrote:
> For me, I wrote a simple script send_apache_log.pl, which read apache log
> files, print it to STDOUT, remember where it left off by writing to a file
> in /tmp.

there is program "since" that can do the same.

>  I install this on the servers.  Then on my other workstation, I
> have another script collect_apache_log.pl, which run periodically via cron,
> that invoke the remote script via passwordless-ssh.  I am not a security
> expert, but this seems to be better than using syslog utility.

We use syslog for remote logging (not only apache logs). We have "tail -f"
running over logfiles, that sends its output to remote syslog machine via
"logger" program which sends it to syslog. (I know this is not the most
reliable or effective way, but currently we don't have anything better).

Another way is sending logfiles directly via pipe to logger program, apache
can do this.

And I was still talking about syslog ;-)