httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Graves, Jan" <Jan.Gra...@lisd.us>
Subject [users@httpd] How to tell if Apache is really running
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:16:18 GMT
First I have to apologize to all of you Apache experts for what will sound like a stupid question.
 However, I am new to Apache and will admit that I have not a clue what I am doing with it.
 How can I tell if Apache is really running, since now matter what I cannot access the web
site this server should be hosting?

This command    ps -ax |grep http          produces the following results:
 1029  ??  Ss     0:00.46 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
 1030  ??  I      0:00.00 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
 1031  ??  I      0:00.00 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
 1032  ??  I      0:00.00 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
 1033  ??  I      0:00.00 /usr/local/sbin/httpd

I am running Apache Version 1.3 on a Unix system.  Things were running fine until storms took
out the power over the week-end and the system needed to be re-started.  This system was set
up by a third party company who no longer provides support.  So, I am trying to determine
what the problem is.  The Unix system itself starts and all of the processes that I expect,
except Apache.

I have attached the error log file.  If anyone needs further information, please let me know.
 I will try to find it.  In looking at the Apache site, I know that things were not left in
default places.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jan Graves
Network Administrator/Engineer