httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter N Lewis <pe...@stairways.com.au>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running multiple httpd daemons
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:02:02 GMT
At 21:48 -0500 6/6/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>apachectl should not change significantly, why not just leave it alone
>between minor subversion bumps?

That's true, and I could just copy apachectl twice, configure both
and then hope nothing changes, but it disturbs me to copy something
out of the distribution and then not update it.  If someone fixes a
bug or changes a parameter, I wont pick up the change.

At 9:41 -0600 7/6/06, David Salisbury wrote:
>Perhaps you can educate me on this one Peter.  Why use apachectl at all?
>You could write a script outside of the install, that centers around :
>
>/path/to/httpd -f  /path/httpd.conf.name -k  [stop,start,restart]

httpd -k [stop,start,restart] appears to be a new feature of 2.x.
It's not in 1.3 as far as I can see.

It just seems to me that apachectl taking parameters is better than
having to modify apachectl, but I guess there wont likely be many
changes to 1.3 that would affect apachectl, and from the looks of it,
apachectl is no longer really needed under 2.x, just use httpd -k
directly, so I guess I just live with the issue until I upgrade to
2.x, and then switch to httpd instead of apachectl.

Thanks,
    Peter.

--
Check out Interarchy 8, just released.